Every student deserves to thrive in their educational environment. Students with special educational needs are no exception.
The Fedcap School is an accredited private school in West Orange, New Jersey, dedicated to helping students ages 13-21 classified with cognitive, multiple, or behavioral disabilities succeed and thrive into adulthood.
“The Fedcap School is the premiere behavior modification program in Essex County.”
Middle School Principal
Through individualized and group instruction, our students flourish through our comprehensive academic curriculum and behavior modification program.
We provide equal access to educational opportunities that enhance a student’s decision-making, problem-solving and social skills, improving their quality of life—both in school and after graduation.
What we do works!
Our certified staff are skilled professionals who provide a nurturing, caring environment that supports students’ educational, social and emotional growth. All staff are certified in CPR, Professional Crisis Management and Handle with Care Crisis Behavior Management.
Our therapeutic environment helps students develop greater self-awareness in a safe space.
Our students are supported by the Wrap Around Model that ensures everyone – student, family, caregivers and staff – works as a team to support and reinforce positive development in all areas of the student's life.
MEET A FEW OF OUR GRADUATES
We use an innovative Eight-Point Approach to Behavior Modification that includes:
1. Full Academic Engagement: Our core academic curriculum includes English, science, mathematics, social studies, world language, and physical education. Students’ Individual Education Plans (IEP) are implemented and aligned through the NJ Student Learning Standards. We use web-based programs such as i-Ready® from Curriculum Associates, a single K–12 adaptive, diagnostic web-based learning tool for reading and mathematics, and PLATO Learning© from Edmentum™.
2. Electives: Our diverse electives expose students to vocations that often lead to careers. Electives engage students, reflect their interests and are based on their IEPs. Subjects include art, music, engineering and recording, building trades, Black Seal low- pressure boiler operations and culinary arts.
3. High-Impact Internships: Our internships provide students with positive role models, marketable works skills and letters of reference, and allow them to explore career interests and build professional networks. Students gain tangible and valuable experience working over 30 hours per week in a professional setting, while earning a stipend. Internship partners have included Walgreens, CVS, Shoprite, Newark Lumber, Mountainside Hospital, as well as restaurants, day care centers and automotive shops.
4. Credit Recovery Program: Our students can track their graduation requirements and timeframe through an accelerated learning tool.
5. Transition Program: Our students have the benefit of Fedcap’s signature GetReady!™ and PrepNOW™ interactive, web-based curricula, which provide work-readiness training and preparation for continuing education and employment. Our Transition Program also includes money management, banking, travel training, exposure to community resources, and information about securing housing and government benefits.
6. Leadership Development Program: We are committed to developing leaders. Our Leadership Program sharpens communication skills and helps our students become leaders, think critically and work effectively within teams to reach pre-determined goals.
7. Sports Program: Our students participate in sports including basketball, softball, and track and field. The program helps students learn sportsmanship, teamwork, and self-discipline. The Fedcap School is a proud participant in the Essex County Special Olympics.
8. Positive Behavior Support Program: Our students develop a greater awareness of self and others as they learn to understand their triggers, take a time-out to regroup, learn how to respond differently to stress and acquire new, positive behaviors.
Students can be recommended for placement at Fedcap School by out-of-district child study team members, case managers, CMO’s, outside government agencies and support service providers. Our admissions team receives applications from Essex, Union and Bergen County school districts. Our collaborative intake process includes the district Child Study Team member as well as any community support services in place to ensure that the Fedcap School is the right place for the student to grow and thrive.
The Fedcap School serves 96 students in eight classrooms (each with a dually certified teacher and classroom aide) for 180 days during the regular school year session and 35 days in the extended school year sessions. Hours of operation are 8:30am to 3:00pm and 9:00am to 2:00pm, respectively.
8 ST CLOUD PLACE
WEST ORANGE, NJ, 07052
P: 973.677.0700 • F: 973.677.1700
For More Information Contact:
Rebecca Borg, Principal, email@example.com
518 Valley Street
Orange, New Jersey 07050
Phone: 973.677.0700 or 973.678.7778
School Office Hours: 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.